SpyLoaded Forum

News

Author Topic: Buhari seeks Senate approval to appoint 15 advisers  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Crown Mix

• Forum Administrator

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday requested the approval of the Senate to approve 15 Special Advisers who will assist him to carry out his functions as the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

The President, in a letter addressed to the Senate President, David Mark, said his request was in accordance with Section 151 (1) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, (as amended ).
ADVERTISEMENT

The President did not attach the list of the 15 special advisers but craved the indulgence of the federal parliamentarians to urgently consider his request.

Buhari’s first letter to the Senate, read by Mark, noted that his action, was pursuant to the provision of the constitution which confers on him the power to appoint special advisers to assist him in the performance of his functions.

Buhari said, “I write to request for your kind consideration and approval of the distinguished members of the Senate of the Federal Republic to appoint 15 special advisers as prescribed in Section 151(2-3) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

“While trusting that this exercise will receive the traditional prompt attention of the Senate, please accept, Mr. President, the assurance of my highest consideration.”

Meanwhile, the Senate on Tuesday congratulated Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on their assumption of office. The senators also expressed delight in the successful handover of government on May 29.

The Senate in a motion moved by its Majority Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba, said it identified with the government of Buhari in its assignment to meet the yearnings of Nigerians and simultaneously reposition the country in all spheres of social, political and economic life.

Mark, who presided over plenary, said, “For the first time in the history of the country, the Presidential election is not before any tribunal.”

He commended former President Goodluck Jonathan for making that happen, adding that it was a milestone in the country’s democratic process.

He said, “It is not just enough to congratulate President Buhari. I think we should also congratulate the former president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, who willingly conceded defeat and followed the announcement with a telephone call to President Buhari.”

Mark, however, condemned the activities of hoodlums during the inauguration that took place across the country on May 29.

“Sometimes the followers go overboard either out of excitement or whatever reasons. I also ran into a group of hooligans when I was entering the Eagles Square and they damaged my (car’s) windscreen.

He expressed optimism that Nigerians would realise with time and accept that power rotation was part of democratic process and should be observed with decorum.

Senator Ita Enang (APC- Akwa Ibom North East) said the transition to a new government had further consolidated democracy in the country.

TAG:

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
"5 eggs" Multiply By "4 eggs" Is what ?:

Close
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal